The Temporary Caregiver Insurance program (TCI) provides up to 5 weeks (6 weeks in 2023) of benefits for people who need to be out of work to care for a seriously ill family member (child, spouse, domestic partner, parent, parent-in-law or grandparent) or to bond with a newborn child, adopted child or foster-care child.
To be eligible for TCI benefits, you must have:
- Earned wages in Rhode Island
- Paid into the TDI/TCI fund.
- Earned at least $14,700 in either your Base Period or an Alternate Base Period or if you earned less, you may be eligible if you meet ALL of the following conditions:
- You earned at least $2,450 in one of your base period quarters;
- Your total base period taxable wages are at least one and one-half times your highest quarter of earnings;
- Your base period taxable wages equal at least $4,900.
- Be out of work for 7 consecutive days (paid or unpaid)
- Provided your employer with 30 days written advance notice that you plan to use TCI (the 30 day notice can be waived if there are “unforeseeable circumstances”)
How to Apply
- File an application online at the DLT web site or file a paper application or call (401) 462-8420 to request a paper application mailed to your home address.
- You need to provide proof of parent/child relationship if you are requesting TCI for time to bond and proof of the medical need of a family member if you are requesting TCI for time for care-giving.
How much are the weekly payments?
The weekly benefit is equal to 4.62% of the wages paid to you in the highest quarter of your base period. The maximum benefit rate is $978 and the minimum benefit rate is $114. You may also be entitled to a dependents allowance for a child under age 18 or a child age 18 or older who is disabled. The dependent’s benefit is 7% of your benefit with a minimum of $10.
TCI benefits are taxable. Benefits can be paid for a maximum of 5 weeks.
For more information, go to the Department of Labor and Training website. If you have questions about your eligibility or application, you can email [email protected]. Include your full name, phone number and hometown in the email.