The Temporary Caregiver Insurance program (TCI) provides up to 6 weeks of benefits for people who need to be out of work to care for a seriously ill family member (child, spouse, domestic partner, parent, parent-in-law or grandparent) or to bond with a newborn child, adopted child or foster-care child.
To be eligible for TCI benefits, you must have:
- Earned wages in Rhode Island
- Paid into the TDI/TCI fund.
- Earned at least $14,700 in either your Base Period or an Alternate Base Period or if you earned less, you may be eligible if you meet ALL of the following conditions:
- You earned at least $2,450 in one of your base period quarters;
- Your total base period taxable wages are at least one and one-half times your highest quarter of earnings;
- Your base period taxable wages equal at least $4,900.
- Be out of work for 7 consecutive days (paid or unpaid)
- Provided your employer with 30 days written advance notice that you plan to use TCI (the 30 day notice can be waived if there are “unforeseeable circumstances”)
How to Apply
- File an application online at DLT or file a paper application. Go to DLT for application information.
- You need to provide proof of parent/child relationship if you are requesting TCI for time to bond and proof of the medical need of a family member if you are requesting TCI for time for care-giving.
How much are the weekly payments? (July 1, 2022)
The weekly benefit is equal to 4.62% of the wages paid to you in the highest quarter of your base period. The maximum benefit rate is $1,007 and the minimum benefit rate is $114. You may also be entitled to a dependents allowance for a child under age 18 or a child age 18 or older who is disabled. The dependent’s benefit is 7% of your benefit with a minimum of $10.
TCI benefits are taxable. Benefits can be paid for a maximum of 5 weeks.
For more information, go to the Department of Labor and Training website. If you have questions about your eligibility or application, email the DLT. Include your full name, phone number and hometown in the email.