The state budget is the most important public policy document in Rhode Island. Decisions about how much to spend, what to spend it on and how to pay for these priorities have a significant impact on families and communities across the state. It is important for Rhode Islanders to understand the budget process and have a powerful voice in the debate over tax and spending decisions.
Institute staff spend time analyzing hundreds of pages of proposed and enacted state budgets, as well as legislation introduced that impact the economic security of low- and moderate-income Rhode Islanders and our state's fiscal health. The produced summaries help lawmakers, advocates, media, and the community understand how these proposed issues have progressed during the legislative session.
- Highlights of the Governor’s Proposed FY2021 Budget [FEBRUARY 2020]
- Highlights of the 2020 General Assembly Session: 2021 Enacted Budget and Legislation [JANAURY 2021]
- Highlights of Governor’s Proposed FY2022 Budget [APRIL 2021]
- FY2022 Budget & 2021 General Assembly Session in Review [JULY 2021]
- Analysis of Governor's FY2022 Supplemental Budget - ARPA Funding [OCTOBER 2021]