Latest RI Health Coverage Project News
Updated Fact Sheets about Coverage
We have updated our Fact Sheet explaining options for uninsured Rhode Islanders to obtain health insurance coverage and the Fact Sheet explaining coverage for immigrants to reflect the 2019 income limits for coverage purchased through HealthSource RI (HSRI). The Medicaid income limits should be adjusted in March.
Open Enrollment for HSRI Ends – Coverage through a Special Enrollment Period or Medicaid Continues
Open enrollment through HealthSource RI to purchase coverage for 2019 has closed. However, people who need insurance due to a change in circumstances may be eligible to enroll during a Special Enrollment Period (SEP). Reasons to be eligible for SEP include: losing health insurance at work, losing coverage through parent’s health insurance, change in household size (adoption, birth, marriage, divorce), loss of Medicaid or other public coverage, change in immigration status, new to Rhode Island. In most cases, the person must enroll within 60 days from the life-changing event. Families and individuals with income below the applicable Medicaid limit can enroll in coverage at any time.
To enroll in Medicaid or HSRI during a SEP:
- Apply through HealthSource RI Contact Center. Monday – Friday, 8:00am – 6:00pm.
- Apply over the phone: 1-855-840-4774
- Apply in person: 401 Wampanoag Trail, East Providence
- Meet with a Navigator in your community. Call 2-1-1 to find a navigator
- Apply online: www.healthsourceri.com.
Attend an enrollment session:
- January 22. Greenville Library. 10:00am – 3:00pm
- Feb. 12. North Providence Library 12:00pm – 5:00pm
- Feb. 25. Portsmouth Public Library. 10:00am – 3:00pm
For information from visit: www.healthsourceri.com
Health Insurance for People who are Uninsured
The type of health insurance available to you and your family depends on your income. Adults with income below 138% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL) may be eligible for RIte Care/Medicaid. The RIte Care/Medicaid income limits for children and pregnant women are higher.
Individuals and families with income above the RIte Care/Medicaid limits can buy coverage through Health Source RI (HSRI). Tax credits are available to help pay for coverage if income is below 400% FPL and if income is less than 250% FPL you can also get help paying for out-of-pocket costs (cost-sharing reduction).
HOW TO ENROLL
• Apply on-line at www.HealthSourceRI.com.
• Call 1-855-840-4774 to enroll over the phone.
• Enroll in-person at the HSRI contact center at 401 Wampanoag Trail, East Providence
• Enroll in-person with a community-based Navigator. (Call 2-1-1 to find a navigator in your community or check this brochure.).
WHEN TO ENROLL
• Individuals and families who are eligible for Medicaid/RIte Care coverage can enroll at any time.
• The Open Enrollment period for HealthSource RI plans closed on January 31, 2016, and reopens in November, 2016. Until open enrollment in November, people who are uninsured because of life changes such as losing health insurance at a job, giving birth or adopting a child, marriage/divorce, a death in the family, or moving to Rhode Island can enroll in a HealthSource RI plan. It’s important to apply for coverage soon after the life-changing event. For more information click here for a factsheet about the special circumstances for enrolling in coverage through HSRI. You can also download a poster explaining eligibility for HSRI coverage here.
HealthSource RI also hosts enrollment sessions for currently uninsured Rhode islanders who want to enroll in coverage:
Webinar: Recording of our webinar for Community Helpers that explains how to help families renew their insurance and more about the rolling renewal option.
Business Process Plan: Help make sure families who come to your agency know about RIte Care renewal. See our Business Process Plan to help your organization think about how to make sure everyone you work with stays covered.
Notices: The Executive Office of Health and Human Services has sent a series of notices to families who need to renew their RIte Care Coverage.
Press and alerts: Read our recent press releases and newsletters about the RIte Care renewal process.