About Raising RI
The Raising RI Coalition is a group of community, healthcare, social service and advocacy organizations that serve low-income families and are working to ensure that families can meet their basic needs. The Coalition seeks to raise the RI Works benefit to 50% of the federal poverty level over the next two years – to lift Rhode Island Works children and families out of deep poverty.
The Rhode Island Works benefit has not been increased in close to 30 years, while all other New England states have adjusted their benefit to help families’ purchasing power keep up with inflation. The 4,000 families currently enrolled in the program receive an average of $6/person/day. The benefit is 30% of the federal poverty level, meaning that 10,000 Rhode Islanders, including 7,200 children, are living in deep poverty (50% of the poverty level).
The Coalition seeks to raise the RI Works benefit to 50% of the federal poverty level over the next two years – to lift families out of deep poverty. In the first year, the benefit for a family of 3 would rise from $554/month to $711/month, giving families more resource for clothing, toiletries, housing, transportation, food and other basic needs.
Raising RI Legislation
If your organization would like to join our coalition of passionate anti-poverty advocates, please fill out a form in support, and email it along with the primary contact person's information.
Share Your Family's Rhode Island Works Story!
There is a lot of mis-information about the Rhode Island Works program and the families that rely on it. By telling your story, you help put a face to how everyday people will be impacted by an increase in the benefit amount. Your story can help influence local lawmakers, inspire your neighbor to become an advocate, or help someone understand the importance of our fight against poverty in the state.
- Center for Southeast Asians
- Community Action Partnership of Providence
- Community Care Alliance
- Comprehensive Community Action Program
- Cranston Clergy Association
- Direct Action for Rights and Equality
- Domestic Violence Resource Center of South County
- Facilitate Change
- Foster Forward
- Jonnycake Center of Peace Dale
- Neighborhood Health Plan of Rhode Island
- Newport Partnership for Families
- Providence Public Library
- ResCare Workforce Services
- Rhode Island Coalition for Children and Families
- Rhode Island Community Action Association
- Rhode Island Health Center Association
- Rhode Island Kids Count
- Rhode Island National Organization for Women
- Scandinavian Church
- Sojourner House
- St. Paul Catholic Church
- Temple Sinai
- The Economic Progress Institute
- Genesis Center
- The Latino Policy Institute
- The Rhode Island Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics
- The Rhode Island Coalition Against Domestic Violence
- The Rhode Island Interfaith Coalition to Reduce Poverty
- The Womxn Project
- Tri-County Community Action Agency
- United Way of Rhode Island
- Washington County Coalition for Children
- Westbay Community Action
- Woodridge Congregational Church
- Working Cities Newport