Advocacy requires many voices. If you are looking for ways to help ensure economic progress for all Rhode Islanders, here are some opportunities that will allow you to make a difference.
Campaigns to Get Involved
The Institute is working in coalition with different community partners on issues that affect low- and moderate-income Rhode Islanders. Check out our active campaigns below to learn how to get involved.
RIght From the Start
RIght from the Start is a legislative and state budget campaign to advance policies for young children and their families in Rhode Island. While Rhode Island has much to offer, the reality is too many families struggle to support their young children during the critical early years of brain development.
Protect Our HEALTHCARE Coalition
The Protect Our Healthcare Coalition consists of a group of leading Rhode Island consumer and non-profit service organizations as well as hundreds of individuals working to protect access to quality, affordable healthcare for all Rhode Islanders.
Revenue for Rhode Island
The Revenue for Rhode Island is a campaign to raise much-needed revenue for Rhode Island by ensuring the top 1% of earners contribute their fair share.
The revenues raised through this legislation can be used to fund vital programs and services that impact all Rhode Island families – like public education, infrastructure improvements, better care for our seniors and individuals with developmental disabilities, and much more.
Paid Family Leave
Rhode Island workers need paid family leave in order to take care of and/or bond with their loved ones. Get involved in our paid family leave campaign!
Help Increase Rhode Island’s Earned Income Tax Credit!
The EITC is a common sense tax break that reduces the income tax owed by low-wage working families, allowing them to keep more of their paycheck. Over the last few years, 86,000 Rhode Island taxpayers saw an increase to their state EITC and are set to see another increase for tax year 2017 from 12.5% of the federal credit to 15%! This means Rhode Island working families will have more dollars to pay for the basics. Let’s keep the momentum going by increasing the state EITC even further.
Raising Rhode Island
The Raising RI Coalition is a group of community, healthcare, social service and advocacy organizations that serve low-income families and are working to ensure that families can meet their basic needs. The Coalition seeks to raise the RI Works benefit to 50% of the federal poverty level over the next two years – to lift Rhode Island Works children and families out of deep poverty.
Other Ways to Get Involved
- Communicating with legislators: Your voice matters at the State House! It is important that you share your opinion on policies with your elected officials. Here are some tips for communicating with your state representatives through phone calls, letters and testifying at public hearings.
- Find your state legislator: Find out who your state and federal representatives are and how to contact them via the Secretary of State’s website.
- Attend a legislative hearing: One way of sharing your opinion with policymakers or learning more about legislation is by attending a committee hearing. Visit the General Assembly’s committee calendars to stay informed of legislative hearings.
- Learn more about the state budget: Visit our Tax and Budget page to learn more about our state’s budget and what we can do to advance economic prosperity for all.
- Policies for economic progress: Learn more about The Economic Progress Institute’s policy agenda.
- Understanding and influencing the state budget: Become involved in the state budget debate. This presentation will help you understand how the state budget is developed and how you can influence the outcome.